For the very first time, Local Food Britain was delighted to be named as a finalist in the Best Local Food Event/Initiative category at the Surrey Life Food & Drink Awards.
While Local Food Britain covers the south east of England today, our food and drink network started in Surrey in 2011 and is still based at Priory Farm, South Nutfield – and so it was a hugely proud moment for our small team to be nominated.
Up against our good friends at The Salt Box, who are also based at Priory Farm, and the headline-grabbing Woking Food & Drink Festival, it was an extremely competitive category and there was much excitement and not a little nervousness on the night.
In the end, we were delighted for Beckie and Christian, those purveyors of outdoor cookery and woodland rewilding at The Salt Box, who were awarded the trophy on the night. A massive, massive congratulations to them from all at Local Food Britain.
Elsewhere, it was a fantastic night in general for Surrey-based Local Food Britain members and here’s a quick rundown of who won what, as well as those who did so well to make the final three on the night. Congratulations to all!
And the winners and finalists were:
- Newcomer 2019: Titsey Brewing Co, Botley Hill (finalist)
- Best Farm Shop: Village Greens, Ockley (winner); Secretts, Milford and Priory Farm, South Nutfield (finalists)
- Food Product of the Year: Chicken Biryani from Mandira's Kitchen, Albury (winner); Pork in Black Noise Ready Meal from Hill House Farm, Beare Green and Turkeys from Bramble Farm, West Horsley (finalists)
- Drink Product of the Year: Albury Estate Classic Cuvée from Albury Organic Vineyard, Silent Pool (winner); 2014 Sparkling Rosé Reserve from Greyfriars Vineyard, Puttenham (finalist)
- Best Local Food Event/Initiative: The Salt Box, South Nutfield (winner); Local Food Britain, South Nutfield (finalist)
- Chef of the Year: Ben Piette from London House, West Byfleet (finalist)
- Outstanding Customer Service: Hill House Farm, Beare Green (finalist)