This simple but delicious roasted beetroot salad recipe comes from Secretts’ cook Leila, who works in their on-site production kitchen. The Secretts kitchen team produce quiche, salads, cakes and savouries for their deli and PYO café. Using Secretts' home grown heritage beetroot in gold, traditional and candy striped chioggia, it looks and tastes fabulous. Crunchy roasted seeds and fresh aromatic coriander team up effortlessly with the earthy tones of fresh beetroot. This is just one of a range of freshly made seasonal salads Secretts has in their deli counter this summer.
Mixed variety beetroot, topped, tailed and washed (separate the colours before roasting)
Roasted pumpkin seeds
Roasted sesame or sunflower seeds (or both)
Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
White wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 220°c / Fan 200°c
- Wrap the whole beetroot loosely (in their separate colours) in foil and place in a baking tray.
- Roast for one hour and allow to cool in the foil completely before peeling.
- While you have the oven on for the beetroot, place the seeds in a small baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes until golden and leave to cool.
- Reserve a spoonful of the seeds and some chopped coriander for a garnish.
- To remove the beetroot peel, take sheet of paper towel and rub the surface and the skin should easily fall away. Chop the beetroot into bite size chunks.
- Combine the dressing ingredients (oil, vinegar, salt and pepper) and mix into the beetroot and season to taste.
- Finally mix in the chopped coriander and seeds. Garnish with the reserved coriander and seeds and add some edible flowers if you have some.
- You might also enjoy this recipe with a heaped teaspoonful of whole grain mustard added to the dressing or with feta cheese crumbled over the top to make a more substantial salad.