English asparagus is a superstar of the local food scene. English asparagus is hailed by chefs as the best in the world. Our climate allows the stems to develop slowly, producing a full, sweet flavour and a fine, tender texture. Lots of Surrey's farm shops and grocery stores stock it. The asparagus season officially starts on St George's Day, April 23, but many farm shops such as Priory Farm at South Nutfield have it in stock earlier than that.
for tossing asparagus in - prepare this by mixing some butter at room-temperature with salt and freshly milled black pepper. If you are using salted butter, you may not need to add more salt.
Hollandaise Sauce - this brand new product is available from Priory Farm Shop
- Trim the asparagus spears so all are the same length.
- Plunge it into boiling water and cook for about 2-3 minutes then transfer to a warmed dish and keep warm.
- Have a high-sided pan just coming to the boil, add the vinegar, stir and break the eggs into the vortex. Cook for 3 minutes until softly poached. (Or if you wish you can use an egg poacher.)
- Open a jar of Le Mesurier Hollandaise Sauce and warm as per instructions.
- Toss the asparagus in the seasoned butter and line up 5 on each plate.
- Remove softly poached eggs and place on top of the asparagus.
- Spoon the warmed hollandaise sauce on top of the egg, and garnish with a few rocket leaves.