This mouth-wateringly good recipe for chocolate shortbread biscuits is not only vegan but also gluten-free. What is more, the shortbread will keep for up to a week in an airtight container - and for up to six weeks in the freezer (assuming you don't eat it all in the first few days!). The following will make enough for about 12 biscuits.
gluten-free whole-wheat flour
coconut oil or dairy-free butter
coconut sugar, finely ground
milk of choice (can be dairy-free)
Raw Chocolate Company’s Pitch Dark
Raw Chocolate Company’s Raw Chocolate Almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Firstly, crush your Raw Chocolate Almonds. I recommend taking a rolling pin to the packet! This is a fabulous way to get the stress of the day out!
- Now in a large bowl, bring together your flour and coconut oil using your fingers. You will end up with a bread crumb-like mixture. Now mix in your icing sugar and half of the crushed almond mixture, ensuring everything is evenly combined. Add your milk and bring together into a dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface until about 2cm thick.
- Cut out whatever shape you fancy and place on your baking tray! Bake for 15-20 minutes until they start to go golden on top.
- Whilst the shortbread is cooling, melt your chocolate. I do this in a Pyrex bowl over a saucepan of water.
- Once melted, spoon some chocolate onto each shortbread ensuring the whole surface is covered. Sprinkle the rest of your crushed almonds onto the chocolate whilst it's still wet. Place in the fridge to cool.