Flamed with brandy and ready in no time, this recipe for beef stroganoff relies on tender, flavoursome steak from a trusted butcher. Special enough for a dinner party, you can do all the preparation ahead.
Beef stroganoff is one of those dishes that is a joy to make, because it's so easy, and very impressive to serve.There really is no need to over-complicate a beef stroganoff recipe. Follow ours and the results will speak for themselves.
fillet of beef. You can also use sirloin or even rump if it's tender enough.
onion, very thinly sliced
chestnut mushrooms, very thinly sliced
beef or chicken stock, preferably fresh
rice and a crisp salad
- Slice the beef into thin strips, cutting across the grain. Place in a bowl.
- Spoon the paprika over the beef and toss around so the meat is coated.
- Heat a large, heavy-based frying pan and add the butter. When it is sizzling, add the onions and mushrooms, coat with butter then turn the heat right down so they "sweat", releasing their juices. It helps to cover the pan with a lid or tight-fitting foil. Once the juices are running, after about 5 minutes, transfer the contents of the pan to a bowl and keep warm.
- Using the same pan, pour in around a tablespoon of rapeseed oil and heat until very hot. Add the steak to the pan (you may need to do this in two batches) and fry quickly, using tongs to turn the meat so it browns on all sides. Take care not to over-cook it or it will toughen - around a minute and a half is enough. Remove the meat to a warm plate.
- Return the mushrooms and onions to the pan and add the stock.
- Bring to a simmer then, after a minute or so, add the brandy and flame it by lighting it with a match. Stand back and take care - you don't want to singe your hair! When the flames have died down, turn down the heat, return the meat to the pan and let it warm up before stirring in the sour cream. Once it has warmed through (don't over-heat or the meat will continue to cook and may dry out), it's ready. Check the seasoning and add salt or pepper if necessary.
- Serve with rice and a green salad.
Recipe Contributed by