Locally-grown summer strawberries oozing with juicy flavour are the star of the show in this delightful recipe.
icing sugar, plus another half tablespoon
lemon, finely grated zest
half a lemon
one vanilla pod
tub fromage frais (if you’re cutting your fat, you can a use low-fat version)
of fresh mint
- Place the egg white and sugar into a heatproof bowl placed over a pan of simmering water. Don’t let the bowl touch the water. Whisk until the “soft peak” stage.
- Take the bowl off the heat and sprinkle the lemon zest and vanilla into the mixture then whisk again for two or three minutes until it’s fairly cool.
- Carefully fold the fromage frais into the egg white mixture without knocking the air out as you want the mousse to hold its shape.
- Slice half the strawberries and put in the food processor with half a tablespoon of icing sugar. Blend to a smooth sauce, then press through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Take 6 sundae glasses. Carefully a little of the sauce into the bottom of each glass.
- Spoon the mousse over the top
- Drizzling some sauce over each then top with the halved strawberries and a sprig of mint.
- Pop back in the fridge and serve chilled.