Local foodie flavours
From a perfect free-range turkey to indulgent handmade puddings via a British cheese board selection and English sparkling wine, you can put quite the Christmas dinner spread on using only Local Food Britain members’ delicious produce. Here are a few ideas to help impress your friends and family this festive season.
Book your table
- The White Bear is a charming Grade II listed country inn dating back to the 16th century nestling between two farms in the tiny hamlet of Fickleshole, near Warlingham in Surrey. Call 01959 573166 to book a table during the festive season.
- For nearly 40 years, La Barbe has merged French culinary flair with the produce of Britain, and in the run up to Christmas its gallic charm really comes into its own – it’s a perfect place to make new memories with friends and family. Call 01737 241966 to book.
- Found on the way into the New Forest, Spot in the Woods is an idyllic place to escape the hustle and bustle of hosting during the festive season. Discover the flavours of Hampshire in their Kitchen Cafe, which opens for lunch and dinner, or book a stay in one of their lovely rooms. Call 02380 293784 to book.
- Situated on the Titsey Estate in the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the 16th century country Botley Hill Farmhouse is known for its breathtaking views across the North Downs. This popular country inn is well worth a visit – although call ahead as it gets busy! Call 01959 577154 to book.
- The award-winning Chez Vous French restaurant at Warlingham is a fusion of impeccable Gallic heritage and well-established British roots. Whether you're meeting friends for a coffee in the lounge bar, or planning a celebratory meal in the restaurant, Chez Vous is a great find. Call 01883 620451 to book.
- Dating back to the 1500s, The Greyfriar has been the village pub in Chawton since the time of the Spanish Armada. This Hampshire pub is found directly opposite the former home of world-famous author Jane Austen, which is now a museum, so it's a perfect destination for a festive day out. Call 01420 83841 to book.
Shop ’til you drop
- Winner of Farm Shop of the Year at the 2018 Surrey Life Food & Drink Awards, Priory Farm is a one-stop shop of great local produce and unique gift ideas. Whether you’re looking to order your Christmas turkey or fancy updating your festive decorations, this is one retailer that always brings the festive cheer.
- Know a beer lover who prefers a new experience and flavour with every bottle? Well Hop Stop in Oxted is the place to head. Their lovely little shop is stocked wall-to-wall with their handpicked beers from around the world, including a number of local offerings too.
- Garsons of Esher is a family-owned farm shop, garden centre and pick-your-own farm with a newly-opened restaurant serving food grown on the farm and from other local producers, like meat from the farm shop butcher's counter. They also have a site in the small village of Fontley, near Titchfield, Hampshire.
- Best known for the fresh fruit and vegetables they supply top pubs and restaurants with, Secretts of Milford also has a great array of goodies when you’re looking to stock up for the festive season. With a stunning listing of over 300 cheeses, plus deli items, bread and cakes, chocolate, and more, it’s no wonder Secretts is such a proven gourmet destination.
Become a masterchef
- The only thing better than freshly baked bread is bread freshly baked by you - that's what Jack Sturgess, the dynamic young baker behind Bake With Jack, wants to show you. If you know somebody who is keen to learn the art of baking, then one of Jack’s workshop vouchers is the perfect gift for Christmas. His courses are hosted in the Mayford Centre, Woking.
- Born out of a passion for local produce and seasonal ingredients, The Salt Box has set out on an adventure to bring people together through food and fire in and around the south east of England. Just in time for Christmas, they’ve now launched Salt Box gift vouchers, which are eligible towards any of their pop-up dining events or cookery courses.
- Anila’s sauces are based on a traditional family recipe, made from the freshest ingredients in small batches. Based in Walton-on-Thames, her Indian Vegetarian cookery classes are designed to provide you with a variety of tasty nutritious meals that you and your family can prepare and enjoy together.
- Love a curry but don’t know how to cook one? Join Guildford’s Surrey Spice for a fun and hands on cooking session that starts off with a spice master class and follows on with you cooking five amazing dishes to enjoy over lunch with a glass of wine. Vouchers are available to buy as gifts.
- Quince House Cookery School in Limpsfield Chart is owned and run by Katharine Eldridge, who trained at Woking’s Tante Marie School of Cookery. You can purchase her gift vouchers or a Quince House Cookery Book to send to your foodie friends who are always eager to learn.