Tim says this pickle makes a great accompaniment for cold meats, patés and smoked fish - delicious on their own, or in a salad. To make a dressing, take a little of the pickling liquid and add a couple of spoonfuls of olive oil.
white wine vinegar
each of cloves, allspice and black peppercorns
beetroots and carrots
- Wash the beetroot and boil until just cooked and retaining a little firmness.
- Wearing rubber gloves and while still hot, carefully remove the skin.
- If using carrots, peel and leave 1cm of stalk then lightly boil in salted water so they are still crunchy
- Prepare the pickling liquid by putting all the other ingredients in a clean pan, bringing to the boil and simmering for 5 minutes.
- If the beetroots are small keep them whole, otherwise cut into chunks and place in a sterilised kilner jar. The same applies to the carrots.
- Cover with the pickling liquid complete with the cinnamon and spices. Allow to cool, close the lid and pop in the fridge.