A Secretts Farm family favourite to serve with Christmas Dinner. Fresh tender sprouts sliced and pan fried in butter with smoked pancetta. Seasoned and stirred through with toasted pine nuts. This dish when cold makes a wonderful salad with cold turkey and a light vinaigrette. Thanks to Shirlee Posner for sharing her recipe and image.
pack of Weald Smokery Basque Pancetta or similar
good salted butter
Brussel sprouts (from 1 stick), remove top leaf, trim base and cut lengthways into 3 slices
lightly toasted pine nut kernels
- Place the slices of pancetta in a large frying pan and cook over a gentle heat until the fat starts to release into the pan. Remove the pancetta and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the same pan as the pancetta (any fat released will lend a lovely flavour to the finished dish) and add the sprouts. Pan fry until softened and slightly browned turning every couple of minutes. Cook for 5-6 minutes for a slightly al dente finish.
- Once the pancetta has cooled enough cut into small pieces using a pair of scissors or a sharp knife.
- Stir the pancetta into the pan of sprouts and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Toss in the pine nuts and stir well then serve.