Italian-style chicken parcels
Remember to choose good quality chicken - definitely free-range! Organic chicken is perfect but not essential as long as the chicken has been traditionally reared with care, and allowed to grow naturally, with proper access to the outdoors.
This recipe is really easy and ultra-tasty. It’s great to dish up for supper with friends, or just when you feel like something different. Use locally-reared, free range or organic chicken.
local chicken fillets, skin on
of Parma ham - try to find a locally-produced air-dried ham
chopped fresh sage and thyme leaves, or any other combination you fancy!
of mozzarella cheese – enough to top each piece of chicken
– approximately 4 each, but more if you like them!
Sundried Tomato Paste
single cream or soured cream
oil (or olive oil)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Trim any excess skin from the chicken fillets, so each one has enough to cover the top
- Make a pocket in the skin and place a slice of mozzarella underneath, divide up the herbs and tuck these in with the cheese. Season the fillets with salt and pepper (or use garlic pepper if you like it).
- Wrap each parcel in two slices of Parma ham. You can get away with one slice for each, but the mozzarella is more likely to ooze out during cooking.
- Place the chicken fillets in a lightly greased, shallow oven-proof dish.
- Brush a piece of greaseproof paper with oil and use it (oil side down) to cover the chicken fillets, tucking it in so it doesn’t come off.
- Put the tomatoes in another shallow, oven-proof dish and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the chicken in the pre-heated oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Half way through cooking, pop the tomatoes in the oven.
- Just before serving, put the tomato paste and cream in a saucepan and heat gently. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed, according to taste.
- To serve – set the chicken parcels onto warmed plates, put the tomatoes on top and spoon over the sauce. OR add the sauce to the dish that the chicken was cooked in, so that it surrounds the parcels, place the tomatoes decoratively on top and take the whole dish to the table. This goes well with warmed ciabatta bread and a crisp green salad.
Type of dish
Recipe Contributed by